Sunday, January 24, 2010

Einstein's equations about the universe from an Oxford lecture



The bottom line, I like the most, is the equation for sorting out the age of the universe.
One up from that is for the radius of the universe.
This and Thomas Hardy's tragic fatalism keep me company this very uncomfortable Sunday afternoon.

I'm quite ill.  Intense, hot pain on one side of my head & jaw, and heavy, syrupy fatigue since last night, abruptly and without reprieve.  I think it's a real deal sinus infection, which I now realize I've never had.  Just took 6 children's tylenol after sleeping for two hours, and now I don't feel that I need to go to the hospital.  I had started to think the meningitis shot didn't take & began sorting out what to do with Naya (Hardy's fatalism).  Looking forward to attempting to secure a bottle of antibiotics tomorrow first thing.  Thankful that unlike Jude the Obscure I have access to medicine that will prevent me from dying in a small room in Oxford whilst the bells of all the spires clang in the background & I feverishly recite poetry or physics equations before the lights go out on a mere three decade stint.

Perhaps I've been doing a wee bit too much.  But who wouldn't?  & on that note, must write an 8-9 page essay by 1pm tomorrow that is better than anything I've yet written (must!), must go downstairs right now and cook dinner for Naya, & very much want to attend Burns' night tomorrow at Christ Church Hall complete with haggis, pipes, and whiskey & wanted to run with the x-country team again at noon Monday.  I'll start with standing first and walking down the stairs to see how that goes.

Oh, come now, human frame, no time for such a thing as weak, flimsy fatigue when I want robustness.

2 comments:

  1. Ack - sounds awful! Hope you feel better soon. Glad, though, that your feverish brain still appears drawn to big questions - if it weren't, I'd think there was something *really* wrong.

    br

    ReplyDelete
  2. 75 pounds to tell the doctor I need antibiotics, 4 pounds for the actual antibiotics. ouch.

    ReplyDelete