Sunday, January 10, 2010

Turning water into wine


Stained glass window at the Oxford Unitarian Chapel this morning.
The quote below it read:  "he prayeth well who loveth well both man and bird and beast"



time and its passing

Today, what started out as a simple text to our new acquaintances Claire, Marcus, Lula, and Freya asking if they could recommend a babysitter (as I have a formal dinner Monday evening at one of the college dining Halls) resulted in the solidifying of friendship.  Such a cool family.  They live one block from us.  They're British, but they've recently lived in Uganda and Copenhagen as she heads up Oxfam and he designs roads.  They invited Naya over to play & I sat and had coffee with Claire for awhile, before they headed off to London for an evening of Burlesque theatre.  She kindly insisted that Naya simply come to their house whenever I'd like, including tomorrow night.  & Her only request was that she get to be my guest on occasion to some of the debating events at the Union society.  & then when their babysitter was 30 minutes late, I was able to stay with the kids & sit in their cool house so that they could leave for London in time.  Just doesn't take much to turn strangers into friends and trust.

Nothing earth-shattering here, but such a nice reminder day that
Life can be very simply amazing and kind.

Last bit of news--we both have a slight fever tonight and I'm trying to view the replicating UK virus in my blood as something as intriguingly cultural as any other thing I've been swooning over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment